Monday, December 7, 2009

Art Event # 2: Poetic Justice

No not the movie with Janet Jackson and Tupac Shakur. This event was also right here on campus, (CSUSM), with acclaimed poets like Sharon Elise (Professor here at Cal State) and Ant Black (CSUSM Alumni), known for their rhythmic messages of personal accounts and harsh realities. 

This event took place in the Clarke Field House in the Great Salon, Thursday, December 3, 2009 at 7pm. This fourth annual event had sponsorships from Mondo's and Mission Bank. Which means free food and notebooks for attendees :) yay!

Hearing these poets left me thinking about my own expression abilities. And thinking of possible classes or places were I can perfect my craft of expresssion. Maybe it will help me in the professional world. 

A lot of the poets reaffirmed the things that I am learning in my SOC 313: Race and Ethnic Relations class with Professor Elise. White supermacy, silencing of people of color, color blind racism, and colonization. 

My only criticism is that more people should have attended. Last year it was a totally different atmoshpere, and I was excited to see that same feelings in the air. But was a little let down, but I took home some burritos, so too bad for those who missed out. (LOL)

And I learned that events like this one excite me to learn and know more. And possibly find my area of study to go into seeing as I'm really undecided at the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!